Pages

Sunday 23 June 2013

Chocolate cake.... without the eggs.

You know that time of the month when all of your bills just happen to arrive all at once? That instant joy you feel when you know all of your hard earned money is going to be taken away with the blink of an eye? Yeah. I experienced that today. Rego, phone, electricity and internet alllllll came out this week so today when I felt like making a cake  and realised we had used the last of our eggs AND milk, I had to get innovative.

I've never tried making a cake without eggs but today I thought I would give it a go. I pretty much used whatever was in my cupboard and used measurements I knew were similar to other cakes. Here's what I came up with.

Chocolate and Coconut cake 
 
 
Ingredients                                                                       Serves: 12
185g butter, melted                                                          Cooking time: 30 minutes
100g sugar
2tbs honey
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1tsp cinnamon
 
Method
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a 20cm round cake tin with butter and baking paper. Combine your melted butter, sugar and honey together until just combined. Next, sift in the cocoa, flour, cinnamon and baking powder into the wet mixture. Add the desiccated coconut to the mixture. Pour your cake batter into the tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top springs back to the touch.
 
 
 
 
This cake turned out so rich and moist, it was delicious! I really wasn't sure how it would turn out without the eggs but I was pleasantly surprised. I am definitely going to be experimenting with this recipe and trying different alterations. My next attempt will be with a creamy chocolate icing. Yummo!
 
 
 
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday everyone!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment