Pages

Monday 20 May 2013

Super cute (and easy!) DIY mini succulent garlands

I have been dying to try out my own DIY project on something I have seen a lot over the past couple of months on some of my favourite websites like Etsy and Pinterest: garlands. 

My mum gave me some succulent cuttings from her garden on the weekend and I decided to try it out and make 'mini garlands' for my little succulent collection from things I already had lying around the house. They are so simple and easy to make, and I think they look fab!


Here's what I used:
- left over fabric I had lying around the house (because I was only making mini garlands, I didn't end up needing much at all!)
- wooden skewers
- a bit of thread
- glue

Here's what I did:
- dependent on the height of my succulents, I cut the wooden skewers down to my preferrable size. I have placed them just on the inside of the pot in the dirt to keep them stable and so I can remove them when I water these bad boys.
- next I cut a piece of thread approximate to how long I thought I would need, with a little extra for tying it around the skewers.
- by now, I had two wooden skewers placed in the dirt with thread tied between the two. Now for the fun part! I went through my favourite fabric scraps and cut out little triangles (making sure I had folded the fabric in half before cutting, for when I place the triangle on the thread).
- I used items I had at home and without buying anything else, so I used some glue to keep my triangles together. If I were to make these again, I would buy a needle to sew the triangles together onto the thread. Wah-lah! They are done.

These took me about 30 minutes to make all three. How easy is that? I didn't follow any particular instruction set, I just used what I had and how I knew they were made and went with it! I think they are the best kind of DIY's, when you see something you love and make it your own! What do you think of my creations?




Garlands are becoming more and more popular for Weddings, Birthday Parties, Baby Showers and even just to hang in your rooms. Here are a few of my favourites and where I got my inspiration from.

Vintage Bunting by A Fete Beckons on Etsy


Shabby Chic by Berry Ala Mode on Etsy


The Bella Garland by LePetite Fest on Etsy


Lovely Summer Picnic by Mara May on Etsy


Bunting by Vintage Green Limited on Etsy



I'd love to make some of these full sized garlands too so I think a visit to the fabric store is required, yippee!

Happy Monday,

♥ KL

2 comments:

  1. These are super cute, great idea <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love themxx going to make some as cake toppers ;)

      Delete