Pages

Friday 31 May 2013

DIY handpoured soy candles

                                


I have been really excited to share these with you: my handpoured and scented soy based candles! I have been making candles for a couple of months now, in the thought that one day in the near future I will have a stall at the local markets selling them with my best friends succulents. I have always loved candles but didn't love the effects wax like parrafin wax can have on the environment, so I found soy wax. Soy wax has a much cleaner burn and is made from the soy bean so it is all natural. You can make your own candles into motives, pillars, tea lights or in glass jars which are my favourite! I love the vintage feel candles have when they are in random jars and glasses. They just look amazing and add such a rustic vibe to your house. You can also have them scented any flavour you want, which makes them perfect for gifts as well. 

                          

The candles I made for this post are made in small glass bulbs which I bought online from a supplier called Aussie Candle Supplies. Also from here, I purchased the soy wax and cotton wicks. The many fragrances I have collected over the past few months have been from various places but there are so many out there, they aren't hard to find. I have found it is important to use fragrances rather than essential oils if you want a room-filling scent. 







 For these small bulbs, they only use about 150grams of wax each, which I melted down in an old saucepan and heated to 85 degrees. As it hits its peak temperature, I added my fragrance (vanilla, coconut & raspberry) and mix. Then its time to pour the melted wax into the bulbs. 


There are many different techniques to hold the wicks into place. You can use glue spots to keep them steady, use wooden chopsticks or even spoons. I find the using string secured with tape works the best as it doesn't result in crooked wicks like using a spoon can.



Once you have poured and secured, its important to let the wax dry for 24 hours before burning them. I decided to dress mine up a little bit for gifts so I used some left over fabric and twine. I was very pleased with the results!




                                 

 Happy Candle Making!

No comments:

Post a Comment